Powered By Blogger

December 1, 2010

What's for dinner?

It was  8.30 p.m. in the evening and my husband had come to pick me up from office. He had taken an early evening off, been home to freshen up, taken our daughter out for ice-cream. Then the two were there for me at the appointed time.

So far so good...

The moment I entered the car the first question hurled at me was, "Ma, what's for dinner?” by my daughter, of course, and I also caught a glimpse of my husband's head tilting expectantly towards me. I had had an especially strenuous day at work and my instant reaction was irritation at having no answer ready for that question and yet being compelled to answer it. I charged back asking why I was being asked that question even though her 'Dad' had been home before me and had had time to plan something, which of course he hadn't. She was genuinely surprised at my reaction, and simply said, “because we always ask you." I was ashamed of my behavior, but too stressed to apologize. An awkward silence prevailed after that, to be dispelled by my husband proposing that we eat out.


If you come to think of it, this is one of those questions that many women have been answering across cultures and across generations. They have never wondered as to why they have to have an answer. Perhaps it is only of late that some of us have begun to question the legitimacy of that question as we have gone out of our hearths and carved our own niches in the world outside as professionals in different fields. We have begun asking why, the man of the house seldom, if ever, has to worry about planning and executing meals, let alone having to answer that question.


It would be presumptuous to assume that all men enjoy this ‘peripheral status’ where decision-making rights regarding planning and executing meals is concerned although I am pretty sure most do. What about women? Do women resent the fact that they have to answer the ‘what’s for dinner’ question almost every day? Again it would be presumptuous to assume so. Would I cause outrage if I said that women on the one hand enjoy having the exclusive rights to answer that question, and on the other hand, fake resentment to use for their feminist agendas as and when it suits them? There is a poll alongside this article to gauge the most probable answer to that quesion.


I, for one, love the feeling of being cared for if I am reassured by my partner that dinner would be his responsibility on a certain hectic day. I am blissful at the thought of returning to a warm meal that I have neither had to plan, nor execute. BUT, this positive feeling turns into one of  threat if it continues for as short a period as three consecutive evenings. Understandably, the male in the equation cannot fathom this! He exclaims “You women… are a mystery”

What is this power-equation that women associate with the whole food affair? Where does it come from? What is its history?


Talking about history, I am reminded about a scene in a popular Hindi film released last year apparently based on the story of Emperor Akbar and his favorite queen Jodha. When challenged by a certain senior member of her in-law family about her place in the royal kitchen, the newly wedded queen takes a stand by stating that it is the prerogative of every married woman (“har vivahit stree ka adhikar hai yeh”).
At this point in the movie, I could see that the director had touched a chord in the heart of the vast majority of the women in the audience. What I was horrified at was the fact that I found myself reacting in almost the same way as all the other women, i.e., agreeing tacitly to that claim of prerogative. Why should such a prerogative matter to me, an educated woman of the twenty-first century who has discovered other playing fields?!

The answer probably is that when poised against the collective history of a society, of civilization, the journey of the individual pales into insignificance. One stimulus is all that is required for you to plug into the persona of the archetypal woman who feels empowered by virtue of the sway she holds in the kitchen.


If I look back at my own history, I am reminded of a small but significant incident. It was my first visit to my then would-be in-laws’. The day was that of 'Saraswati puja’. A short while after the first awkward moments of preliminary introductions, my boyfriend’s mother offered to let me help with the cooking. I was thrilled and touched to the core by her generosity and inclusiveness! She asked me if I could knead the dough for puris. I of course said an instantaneous yes and plunged in headlong, silk sari et al, into an extra-large casserole of flour. Being motherless from a young age, I was over anxious to prove my skills that I had learnt on my own. But sometimes proving that you have skills can be a BIG MISTAKE. That one incident revealed to her my weakness. In later years, whenever she wanted to reward me she gave me access to the kitchen, and withheld that access whenever I was refusing to tow the line.


The point I am trying to make is this: the reconciliation between being accomplished in your professional life and holding on to age-old fears and archetypes, has to begin at some point. It has to happen out of willingness, not coercion. So, to all the ladies, answer these ‘why’s in your minds:
*      Why, despite our qualifications and accolades, do we try to prove that we can cook and house-keep well?
*      Why do we so often utter the sentence ‘get out of my kitchen’ when the men venture in?
*      Why do we feel threatened when they are equally capable of planning and executing meals/ organising events?
*      Why do we like being called "Minister of Home Affairs" or “Supreme Court”?
*      Why do we women cry ourselves hoarse about gender-equality in workplaces while at the same time holding on to our so called ‘prerogatives’ at home?
*      Why do we then resent it if they feel threatened by our skills and competences at the work place?

Turnabout is fair-play, don't you think ladies, and wouldn't you like that gentlemen?

How many of you think that women need to let go of their own insecurities first before they can expect the men to follow suit?  Cast your vote, we will know.

RESULTS OF THE POLL: -
-What is a woman likely to feel if she is not consulted in planning a dinner being hosted on an important occasion? [ Thrilled-0%, Relieved-20%, Angry-60%,Slighted-20%]
-Are girls and boys groomed differently by parents according to accepted societal norms?
[No-0%, Yes, but only in India-0%, Yes-40%, Maybe, but not in my household-60%]
-Does a woman resent better house-keepimg skills from the spouse?
[Most definitely-0%, Probably-20%, Depends on which generation she belongs to-40%, Not at all-40%]
-How often does a man deliberately let a woman feel in control at home to maintain peace?
[Always-0%, Sometimes-40%, Most of the time-60%, Never-0%]

A warm 'thank you' to all those who cast their votes.

8 comments:

  1. hmmm, interesting and introsepctive. Before commenting on the issue per se, let me state that I have no issues about the kitchen being taken over!! Whoever so wishes to, please come and plan, cook, and serve my meals...:) for as long as you please :))

    One must realise, however, that the kitchen is also a seat of power in terms of decision-making. Despite the advances women have made in different arenas, and the moolah that they bring home, decision-making on most matters, particularly financial matters, is almost entirely the prerogative of men, and women very often, without even being conscious of it, take the back seat when it comes to financial matters...from practice as much as from convention I suppose. Change is difficult and we are all in this complex web of relationships and conventions that are closely inter-twined with power games...which makes change all the more complex. 'Giving up' responsibility is as much about accepting equality as it is about power redistribution, and without a level playing field, these differences and insecurities will continue to prevail!
    The insecurities women feel are rooted in deeper societal norms and culture, and one shouldn't be too harsh on women about wanting to hold on to the kitchen as a matter of prerogative...for most if not all married women, they have had to give up not only their individual identity (change of name) but their whole family and house upon marriage because of patriarchal norms, which includes patri-local residence. Ever seen a man do that?

    I also disagree with some of the assumptions and observations you make about women - in general - but these we can discuss some other time! Overall, I am so happy to see you willing to relinquish your hold over the kitchen...and I hope that many others will follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even as I write here, my better half is preparing the dinner tonight which of course is not anything elaborate but a very satisfying meal nevertheless. :)

    If I have to speak for myself, I have no problems whatsoever to relinquish hold over the kitchen to whoever it be. My husband does it many times and it is the established norm when my mum visits. Its however a different story when the in-laws visit. There it is practically only me who works in the kitchen. I cannot say that I do not get help, my mom-in-law does help me but its only for the preparatory stage, the cutting of vegetables etc. The actual cooking is my responsibility only unless there is a pressing circumstance. Probably, I do not want my in-laws to know that under normal circumstances, my husband and me have very, very flexible ideas when it comes to the kitchen. That, I suppose could be because of some form of conditioning in me to conform albeit very reluctantly, to standards expected of bahus. There might be instances when I do feel that I am better in the kitchen than my husband is, but keeping in mind the rareness of such a situation as that which I enjoy, I do not make anything an issue unless it is just unavoidable. I must stress that this is not condescension on my part. I am thankful that I enjoy such an easy situation. However, when we have guests to entertain, I do take over the kitchen. That does not mean that my husband does not have tasks. He is the one who gets the place spic and span and presentable to the guests, which we all know is no mean feat. He does it willingly and happily with an inborn, inherent sense of organisation. I do not enjoy this task at all and I am a terrible procrastinator when it comes to dusting and tidying up.

    However, all this does beg the question. Why are we (read I) thankful that we have an easy situation. The answer to this does belong in the realm of collective conditioning over the ages which even we, the so-called emancipated women of the 21st century pass on to our kids.Like your daughter asked you the question which prompted you to write this down,I just asked my daughter the question who she would enquire from if dinner was not ready one day. Pat came the answer. ''YOU''! She sees her dad in the kitchen so often....but still, the question will be addressed to me. Why? I dont think I have said anything any time to her about gender roles. She has picked up the messages unstated, from the world around her and somewhere I suppose probably her own parents. Mum is the main architect in the kitchen. It is true like Varsha here said, I do take a back seat in financial matters. However I am not aggressive either in my claims on the kitchen. So what conditions my daughter. She is as conventional as ever. I asked her just now, who she would go to if there were money matters to discuss. The answer is ''DAD''. That atleast is consistent with what she sees. The other is not. It is interesting to study why.

    I end my long litany with this. I have spoken only in terms of my experience. The larger question, I have not tackled.

    Shalini

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonight while I wrote this, my husband took care of the kitchen and dinner. This happens very frequently in my home and I am perfectly fine with relinquishing control of the kitchen. Whn my mum comes a visiting, my mum takes over the kitchen for the entire length of her stay and I am more than happy to let her have it. I truly relish those hot and wholesome meals even if it means that after she leaves, my kitchen requires a bit of resetting back to its old state. However, when my in-laws come visiting, its almost always me alone in the kitchen. I do get help from my mom-in-law for the chopping of vegetables but the cooking activity is my domain, unless there is a pressing circumstance. Maybe I do not want to let my in-laws know that my husband and I have very flexible ideas with regard to the kitchen. If I ask myself why, all I can come up with is that this is a result of some sort of conditioning that I have been subjected to with regard to the behaviour of a bahu.

    I believe that I have better skill than my husband, in the kitchen. But I do not therefore consider it my right to criticise his cooking for I am thankful that he takes the load off me often. However, when I think of this too, it does beg the question doesn't it; why should I be thankful for that? Again it is a conditioning that I accept that its not probably the norm, to have the kind of arrangement that we do and so I am thankful.

    Probably, these unstated conditionings we, the emancipated women of the 21st century pass on to our kids. I just asked my daughter, who she would ask if one day, dinner was not ready. Pat came the answer. ''YOU''! She sees her father often enough in the kitchen, yet she says she would ask me. Therefore, there are other things at work also and she is as conditioned as we are or our predecesser women were. I haven't stated any gender roles explicitly to her and yet, she has decided the order of things.

    I stay out of financial matters its true. I asked my daughter who she would approach for the matter fo financial nature. Pat came the answer. ''DAD''. This stereotype is consistent with what she sees but the other is not. It is interesting to study why, dont you think?

    I end my comment...a rather long one with this. I have spoken only about my experience and not touched the issue in the larger perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is like evolution - the changes are slow & geared towards better existence.My missus is totally the queen in the kitchen & in anything else she wants to be.She does feel "sick & tired" of always planning & executing meals, wishes someone else would do it for a change,but anytime I have attempted to help( Not happened for a couple of decades now) she will either interfere or actually take over & kick me out citing my incompetence( Which is real-but how will I ever get better if I don't try & try again).
    If we are discussing investments- yes I never do anything without discussing- she usually defers the final decisions to me & I have to really push her to give a straight answer- she will usually say something like "invest in stuff that gives great returns with no risk".
    So I guess it is whatever one feels comfortable with that one likes to be in charge of.There is nothing wrong with the way my home works or another which may be the exact opposite- to each their own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Varsha,
    As you say change is difficult and complex. But we all know that it is essential, if women are to taste equality in the real sense of the term. Notice though that the assumptions and generalisations made are just that, 'assumptions and generalisations'.(Of course there are exceptions)These are based on one individual's (that is my) experiences and one main objective of writing this is introspection, self-examination. Similarly, I am calling on some other women like me, who have stepped out of the hearth but are also sitting on the threshold by holding on to stereotypes.
    Shalini,
    Yes, it is interesting to study how your little girl picked up a mental model that she has not observed at home. But perhaps she is more observant than you give her credit for, insofaras she has deduced that her mom feels compelled to camouflage the domestic democracy in the presence of her in-laws, and therefore that her mom is showing her that there is no social sanction for it. As for the financial issues, in my household, I have an equal say in all financial decisions. Maybe it is time that you got more active there, if not for your sake, then for the sake of the little girl who might grow up believing that such matters are best left to the male. Just a suggestion.
    Veer,
    Just a suggestion for you too...leave the entire responsibility of an important investment decision on your wife. Even if it appears too much of a risk, believe me both of you will stand to gain in the long run. Also, refuse to get kicked out of the kitchen, and try, try and try agin. Otherwise how will you learn? How will she learn if she never tries? I am totally with you in believing that there are no formulas for life-to each their own. We experiment sometimes just to break the monotony and make life more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sush,

    Sorry that my comment has come in twice. Please feel free to delete one since they are same thing. The first one is almost the same as the second. It didnt get uploaded the firt time and i got a message saying it cannot be uploaded. Hence I composed the message a second time.

    As for financial decisions, its not that I am not consulted....but like Veer here said, i generally leave the final decision to him as I do not have faith in my financial intelligence. I offer my inputs but leave the final decisions to him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sush, I agree with the phrase "Sometimes proving that you have skills can be a BIG MISTAKE". I personally experienced a similar situation. The very next day of my marriage, I was so excited to cook for my husband. The cuisine was really awesome but with in no time I have realized that I made a mistake because from that day I was forced to prepare not only meal but half a dozen times of tea.

    One fine morning, my mother-in-law comes beside me and gave few compliments for the breakfast and asked me "What's your plan for the day and for tomorrow??". I was surprised, because I'm just having breakfast for the day and wondering why she is asking for next day..? Then, I said first I need to plan for the lunch and there is lot of time for tomorrow. She replied, I expected that you would also tell what's for lunch, dinner as well as next day breakfast??? So, I think for me "What's for dinner?" could be acceptable.

    Sometimes my husband calls me as "Queen of the cuisine" then I feel very proud of myself as I'm fulfilling one of the major responsibilities(duties) of a wife. And I feel that I'm blessed to get such an understanding partner who praises even at times when the cuisine is not good. I love cooking and I would always enjoy the pleasure of cooking rather than pressure of cooking.

    Sharing responsibility makes us happy that there is someone who takes care of us but equality in kitchen looks foolish. I think sharing is one of the beautiful means to build the relationships in the family. In reality, many women fight for equality when they are young but when they reach to the age of 45 they start realizing that equality is a curse. Sometimes too much of the equality creates too many problems.

    Finally, I believe that “har vivahit stree ka adhikar hai yeh”. Personally I feel at the end of a day a women is a women irrespective of her profession, name, fame, money, social status, achievements etc. etc.... What's more important is "relationships" for a happier life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being happy is what matters, Lavanya, with or without equality in the kitchen or elsewhere. Finally it is each individual's call.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog